College goal Sunday provides a venue for 4-H volunteers to help youth succeed
Another themed event leads to opportunity for 4-H.
As 2013 comes to a close and we look ahead to the new year, Michigan State University Extension is sharing an opportunity with you for 4-H volunteers to put their hands to larger service.
Recently, I have been involved with the Michigan College Access Alliance as a part of my role working with career exploration and workforce preparation programming for Michigan 4-H Youth Development. “Michigan College Access Alliance (MCAA) brings together key stakeholders in K-12, higher education, business, government and the nonprofit sector to serve as a collective voice, dedicated to increasing the number of Michigan students who earn college degrees and other credentials valued in the new economy.” Their current focus is to support and enhance financial literacy, or money management, including completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, better known as FASFA.
College Goal Sunday is a National and Michigan event, held in February, focuses on assisting young people with completing the FASFA. The 2014 event in Michigan will be Sunday, February 9, from 2- 4 p.m. You may find additional related events being offered in your community.
Since 2004, thousands of students in Michigan have received help in completing their FAFSA on time. During Michigan College Goal, young people and their parents or legal guardians:
- Get free on-site professional assistance filling out the FAFSA form.
- Talk to financial aid professionals about financial aid resources and how to apply.
- Get information regarding statewide student services, admission requirements and more!
- Talk about College Goal Sunday during 4-H meetings.
- Encourage 4-H members who are current high school seniors, and their families, to participate February 9.
- Visit the College Goal Sunday website to learn more information.
- Register as a volunteer, read the FAQ and learn about orientation for helping with Michigan College Goal.
Many 4-H volunteers have the skills and abilities to make a positive difference in a young person’s life as a Michigan College Goal Volunteer. Consider assisting in your community on February 9.