Breakfast refuels your tank
Provide your body with the energy it needs with a healthy breakfast in order to start the day right.
When your car’s check fuel light blinks on, you head to the gas station to fill up the gas tank. After a night of sleep, your body’s fuel tank is on “E” (empty). You need to refuel your body. This is not a new idea; people have been enjoying breakfast for a long time. Michigan State University Extension recommends beginning your day with a healthy breakfast.
A healthy meal consists of foods from three of the five food groups. Choose three items from the dairy, fruit, vegetable, protein or grain group. This provides your body with the fuel (energy), vitamins, minerals and nutrients needed at the beginning of the day.
Some ideas may include:
- Fruit smoothie made with yogurt and an English muffin
- Scrambled egg, vegetables and cheese wrapped in a tortilla
- Oatmeal with almonds and blueberries
- Waffle with peanut butter and bananas
Some tips to make time for breakfast:
- Plan the night before. You can prepare breakfast in the evening and have it waiting in the fridge to grab, or just plan for breakfast based on what time and ingredients you have available.
- Simplicity is key. If you need a breakfast to-go, think of things that can be put together and refrigerated to grab in a hurry or plan a breakfast that can be held in one hand, like the tortilla with scrambled egg and cheese mentioned above.
- Make it a priority. If it’s important, then you’ll make it an important part of your day.
Don’t ignore your body’s check fuel light. Just like you would take good care of your car, you need to take care of your body. Making sure your body has the fuel it needs in the morning, and throughout the day, helps it to keep it running smoothly.