Wine Grape Vineyard Establishment Conference - Traverse City
Date: February 5, 2016
Time: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Location: Northwest Michigan Horticultural Research Center, 6686 S. Center Highway, Traverse City, MI 49684
Contact: Joanne Davidhizar at email@example.com or 269-944-4126.
(Pre-registration is required)
This is a hybrid webinar-live workshop broadcast at two locations simultaneously for those interested in starting a wine grape vineyard in Michigan.
Who should attend? Established and emerging fruit growers; agribusiness and agency partners.
When? 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Feb. 5, 2016
- Benton Harbor - Southwest Michigan Research and Extension Center, 1791 Hillandale Road, Benton Harbor, MI 49022
- Traverse City - Northwest Michigan Horticultural Research Center, 6686 S. Center Highway, Traverse City, MI 49684
Fees: $100 Registration fee. Pre-registration and pre-payment required. NO WALK-IN REGISTRATION
$30 Optional bulletin package
Meals: Lunch and breaks included
The optional bulletin package (available for purchase) includes the following publications:
- E-2889 A Pocket Guide for Grape IPM Scouting in the North Central & Eastern United States
- E-2644 Vineyard Establishment I: Preplant Decisions
- E-2645 Vineyard Establishment II: Planting and Early Care of Vineyards
Registration Deadline: Jan. 28, 2016, or until full. (Space is limited)
Cancellation Policy: After Jan. 15, 2016 a $50 cancellation fee will be assessed
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 5, 2016
Soil Fertility-Carl Rosen, Minnesota
Site Selection-Duke Elsner, Michigan State
Wine Grape Varieties-Joe Fiola, Maryland
Management of Key Pests-Brad Baughman, Michigan State
Site Preparation –Tom Zabadal, Michigan State
Planting and Care-Tom Zabadal, Michigan State
Vine Training-Duke Elsner, Michigan State
Trellis Construction-Tom Zabadal, Michigan State
Vineyard Establishment Costs-Hans Walter-Peterson, Cornell
Resources for Growers-Elsner/Baughman
Wrap-up & Evaluation
* subject to change