Welcoming a military family who has a child with special needs
Date: August 19, 2013 - August 20, 2013
Time: 2 - 3 p.m.
Location: Online: https://learn.extension.org/events/1134
Contact: Kendra Moyses, email@example.com
Many military families who have a young child with special needs have a very difficult time finding a child care provider who understands the unique challenges of military life and who is willing and able to provide responsive, high quality care that meets their child's needs in a setting along with typically developing children. The goal of this web conference is to provide information, tips and resources for child care professionals who want to meet the challenge of providing great care for these children and families.
Our presenters will discuss:
- understanding, from the family's perspective, the experience of having a child with a disability in the context of military life
- understanding the benefits, challenges and responsibilities of inclusion from a child care program perspective
- practical suggestions and resources for meeting the needs of a child with disabilities by starting from what professionals already know about high quality care for typically developing children
- Wendy Kruse, founder and CEO of the Military Special Needs Network,
- Dr. Susan Craig, author, educator and consultant on inclusive practices.
This 60-minute web conference will be presented for child care providers (both on-installation and in local communities) who work with Military Families, as well as professionals who supervise, direct, or educate child care providers who work with military families.
How to Attend the Web Conference:
- No registration is required to attend this event. Simply log on to https://connect.extension.iastate.edu/milfam as a "guest" a few minutes before 2 p.m. on August 20.
- A certificate of attendance will be mailed to interested participants who attend the event live.
- To learn more about our presenters, download related resources, or sign up to receive alerts for this event, visit the event page: https://learn.extension.org/events/1134
- A recording of the web conference and additional resources will also be available on this page approximately two days after the session.
- To learn more about the Child Care and Military Families Learning Network, please visit http://blogs.extension.org/militaryfamilies/child-care/