Stress Less with Mindfulness
Date: October 5, 2014 - November 3, 2014
Time: 6:30 - 8 p.m.
Location: MSU Extension Kent County, 775 Ball Ave NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
Contact: Holly Tiret, firstname.lastname@example.org, 616-336-8998
October 6 through November 3, 2014, Monday evenings 6 - 7:30 p.m. Download the flyer for complete information.
Autopilot is the way we typically respond. Our brain is wired to go down the same pathways we have used before, to have the same thoughts and feelings, to behave the same way we have before. Mindfulness offers a way out of this trap.
Session 1: Begin with the Breath,10-6-14
- Learn about the benefits of mindfulness
- Pinpoint behaviors which can make you vulnerable or resilient to stress
- Learn how the brain can reduce or increase stress
- Experience mindful movements as a way to relax
Session 2: Mindful Eating,10-13-14
- Learn benefits of eating with mindful awareness
- Create a personal hunger/fullness scale as a guide for sensing when and how much to eat
- Experience paying mindful attention to eating
Session 3: Mindful Walking/Thought-Surfing,10-20-14
- Practice mindful walking Identify how letting go of control can improve mental and physical happiness
- Learn thought-surfing to gain perspective on negative thoughts, sensations, worries and urges
Session 4: Be Kind to Your Mind, 10-27-14
- Learn the importance of self-compassion for your thinking
- Learn how to “de-fuse” harsh thinking
- Practice mindful attention to your thoughts Learn the power of acceptance and gratitude to relieve stress
Session 5: Laughter Is Good Medicine, 11-3-14
- Learn physical, mental and social benefits of laughter
- Experience laughing for the health of it
- Learn ways to include laughter in your life
- Review mindfulness skills
- Create a plan for continuing mindfulness practice
Accommodations for persons with disabilities may be re-quested by contacting Holly Tiret at 616-336-8998 by 9-22-14 to make arrangements. Requests received after this date will be fulfilled when possible.