Soybean Harvest Equipment Field Day and Plot Tour
Date: September 19, 2012
Time: 11:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Location: Welden Farms, 9551 Cranberry Lake Road, Jonesville, MI
Contact: Mike Staton, Allegan County MSU Extension, (269) 673-0370 ext. 27
Registration: Please register for this program by calling (269) 673-0370 ext. 27 before noon on Tuesday, September 18 as a complimentary lunch will be provided.
The Soybean Harvest Equipment Field Day and Plot Tour will teach attendees new information about reducing soybean harvest losses and view two on-farm research trials. Equipment company representatives will discuss specific recommendations for fine-tuning their combines. The following topics and equipment will be demonstrated:
- Combines equipped with draper heads (John, Deere, Case IH and New Holland)
- Combines equipped with auger flex heads (John Deere and Case IH)
- Combine equipped with an air assisted reel
- Harvest loss measurements
- A quick seed quality test (hypochlorite soak)
Participants will also view two SMaRT (Soybean Management and Research Technology) research trials conducted at the site.
- Tillage effects on soybean yields (tandem disk vs. untilled)
- Row spacing effects on soybean yields (30 inches vs. 15 inches) On average soybean producers lose two bushels per acre due to preventable harvest losses.
Stress from drought, high temperatures and two-spotted spider mites may cause significantly greater losses this fall. Information and equipment demonstrated at this field day will help producers reduce these losses.