Sensitive Conversations with Military Families: Communicating Well When It Matters Most
Date: May 20, 2013
Time: 2 p.m.
Contact: Kendra Moyses, email@example.com
This hour-long web conference will be presented by Julia Yeart and Donna Ruhland for child care providers (both on-installation and in local communities) who work with Military Families, as well as early childhood professionals who supervise, direct or educate child care providers who work with Military Families.
Presenters will discuss:
- The impact of military-related family circumstances on young children and the various behaviors that may result
- Attitudes and approaches toward parents that deeply impact the success of the parent-provider partnership in working through a difficult situation
- Strategies for effective communication during each step of the process, from initially approaching parents, to developing a plan to provide additional support for the child, to assessing his or her progress and
- The importance of maintaining respect, confidentiality and a positive, strength-based approach in these conversations.
How to Attend the Web Conference:
Log on to https://connect.extension.iastate.edu/milfam as a "guest" a few minutes before 2 p.m. on May 21.
- Selected articles for the conferences can be found at https://learn.extension.org/events/1038.
- Click "Follow this event," for updates as they are added to the site.
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org after the session or provide an email address in the chat box during the session.
- Visit http://blogs.extension.org/militaryfamilies/child-care/.