National Firewood Workshop
Date: June 20, 2018
Time: 7:30 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Location: Saginaw Valley Research and Extension Center 3775 S. Reese Road Frankenmuth, MI 48734
Contact: Lindsay Pingel Welsmiller, 517-355-0097, firstname.lastname@example.org
Wednesday, June 20, 7:30 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Morning and afternoon sessions focus on the basics and challenges of producing and marketing firewood and the technical aspects of firewood production.
(Includes breakfast, buffet lunch, dinner and evening social hour.)
Thursday, June 21, 8:30 a.m. - 12 p.m.
Morning session focuses on policy and regulatory challenges, safe transportation of firewood, kiln certifications, and lessons learned.
- Selling and marketing
- Finding buyers
- Purchasing requirements by wholesale brokers and chain-store buyers
- Managing a firewood processing business
- Sourcing affordable logs
- Equipment for sawing and splitting
- Heating options for kilns
- Firewood quarantines
- Dry kiln equipment and methods
- Selling green kiln and dried split wood
- Firewood associations
- Urban logs as sources of firewood
Who Can Benefit From Attending This Workshop?
- Firewood producers
- Firewood buyers
- Firewood equipment makers
- Foresters and arborists
- Landowners, loggers
- Extension agents
- Woodstove manufacturers
Cost: $35 per person
Educational credit hours are available for foresters and arborists.