Michigan Sea Grant offering teacher training on invasive species at Lake St. Clair Metropark
Date: June 23, 2014 - June 23, 2014
Time: 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Location: The Nature Center at Lake St. Clair Metropark 31300 Metro Parkway Harrison Twp, MI
Contact: Mary Bohling (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Who should participate? Both formal and informal teachers interested in science and natural resources are invited to participate in this free workshop.
- What characteristics give invasive species a leg up on natives?
- How do invasive species impact biodiversity?
- What is being done to reduce invasive species?
- How is invasive Phragmites managed in the park?
- Sample activities for your outdoor classroom.
In addition to classroom presentations, this workshop will include a walking tour of nearby wetlands that have recently undergone invasive species management focusing on non-native Phargmites. This workshop will take place rain or shine, so please dress accordingly.
There is no cost to participants; however pre-registration by 4pm on June 20th is requested. To register, e-mail Mary Bohling with the names and phone numbers of those who wish to attend.