Michigan 4-H Youth Conservation Council (M4-HYCC)
Date: January 1, 2016 - April 30, 2016
Location: Camp Tuhsmeheta in Greenville, Michigan
Contact: Darren Bagley at 810-244-8515 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or Makena Schultz at 517-432-7603 or email@example.com
The Michigan 4-H Youth Conservation Council (M4-HYCC) is an MSU pre-college program and leadership opportunity for youth ages 13-19 that takes place from January to April.
The M4-HYCC meets for several weekends at Camp Tuhsmeheta in Greenville, Michigan to meet with environmental professionals, learn public speaking and leadership skills, and learn about the public policy process.
- Jan. 9-10: The council members will choose their topic. There is a lot of discussion and debate about what is the most important issue to take up this year. The workshop also includes research skills.
- Feb. 6-7: In this workshop council members will delve more deeply into their topic by speaking to experts in the subject area. This workshop also includes games on the public policy process and leadership.
- March 12-13: Student will focus on completing their research paper and presentation. Participants will practice communication and public speaking skills.
- April: date TBD. The group will present to the Michigan Senate Committee on Natural Resources, Environment, and Great Lakes. Note: This overnight is usually near Earth Day (April 22) but is dependent on the schedule of the Senate committee.
The fee to participate in M4-HYCC is $90.00 for 4-H members who have enrolled in 4-H online as of Sept. 1, 2015, and $100.00 for those not enrolled in 4-H online. The fee covers meeting costs, lodging, and some meals. For the meeting schedule and more information, visit http://4h.msue.msu.edu/4h/michigan_4-h_youth_conservation_council.
- Check with your county MSU Extension staff to see if local scholarship support is available.
- You may also wish to seek scholarship support from local civic organizations.
NOTE: Applicants will be asked to participate in a telephone interview before 2016 council members are announced. You will be contacted by YCC coordinators via e-mail to schedule your phone interview. If accepted into the 2016 council, you will be notified via an e-mail invoice. Complete payment for accepted council members will be due within 15 calendar days of receiving your invoice.