Michigan 4-H Leadership Institute
Date: January 1, 2018
Contact: Brian Wibby, 906-315-2662, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Drive to Social Change Michigan 4-H Leadership Institute is grounded in the Social Change Model of Leadership Development and offers a brand new experience for high school aged youth in Michigan that combines leadership, civic engagement, and grassroots community and social change. Institute scholars will:
- Understand and be able to apply the Social Change Model of Leadership Development
- Receive training on inclusion, implicit biases, micro-aggressions, identifying key stakeholders, and Photovoice
- Expand their network by interacting and receiving training from diverse leaders and educators in three different Michigan communities
- Explore issues around social and community change
- Participate in hands-on social action
- Meet youth leaders from all around Michigan
- Apply their newly-developed leadership skills to plan and lead a community or social change project in their home community
The Leadership Institute: Michigan 4-H Leadership Institute is a unique opportunity for youth to engage in community action on social topics through in person and virtual training. Michigan 4-H Leadership Institute is an opportunity for youth leaders to expand their knowledge of community service, youth voice, leadership skills and change around topics including but not limited to: inclusion, race, class, gender, sexual orientation, poverty, ethnicity, and diversity. The Michigan 4-H Leadership Institute is a year-long program with three main parts:
- First, selected youth will interact with each other and Michigan State University Extension educators through an online media platform that showcases their voice on social issues in the community. This project will be facilitated through online training and meetings starting September 25th and occurring every other Monday until December 4th, 2017.
- Next, youth will have the opportunity to come together and learn about each other’s diverse communities in the Drive to Social Change Road Trip on Martin Luther King Jr. weekend, Jan. 12-15, 2018. Over four days youth will have the chance to engage in hands on social action, as well as learn from diverse community leaders and their peers. This Road Trip will showcase greater Lansing, Mt. Pleasant, Marquette, and Detroit!
- After youth have completed their training and Drive to Social Change Road Trip, they will have tools they need to plan, design and implement a social change project in their own community. With the support of their cohort and MSU Extension educators, youth will become change makers in their own communities, utilizing and bringing home the tools they have from Michigan 4-H Leadership Institute.
This is the inaugural year of the Drive to Social Change Michigan 4-H Leadership Institute. Youth accepted into the 2017/2018 Institute will need to register as Michigan 4-H members and pay $20 annual 4-H Participation Fee that all 4-H members pay to participate in 4-H programs. After registering as a Michigan 4-H member, there will be no fee to participate in the Drive to Social Change Michigan 4-H Leadership Institute, which is estimated at a value of $875 per person!