Master Gardener Training Course - Imlay City (Lapeer County)
Date: August 24, 2017 - December 7, 2017
Time: 5 - 9 p.m.
Location: Heritage Church - Imlay City Campus, 543 N. Cedar St. (M-24 and M-55), Imlay City, MI 48444
Contact: Jackie Delisi, 989-751-0230, email@example.com
We’re pleased you are interested in the MSU Extension Master Gardener Program (MGP) and trust it will be a rich and rewarding experience for you. Details for this 14-week training course site are:
Location: Heritage Church - Imlay City Campus
543 N. Cedar St. (M-24 and M-55)
Imlay City, MI 48444
When: Thursdays, 5 - 9 p.m.
Aug. 24, 2017 to Dec. 7, 2017.
Cost: $300, including 1,000-page training manual.
There are no other out-of-pocket costs.
Payments: Check or credit card.
Deadlines: Registration: Aug. 16, 2017
Payment by check: Aug. 4, 2017
Payment by credit card: Aug. 16, 2017
About the MSU Extension Master Gardener Program
Training Course and Volunteer Service
Access to World Class Gardening Knowledge. The MSU Extension Master Gardener Program connects gardeners across the state to MSU‘s faculty and resources. Participants have access to information generated at one of the nation’s top plant science teaching and research universities and the chance to use this knowledge to improve their communities and enrich their lives.
Extension Master Gardener volunteers start by completing a 14-session practical training course grounded in university research. This training consists of approximately 45 hours of training with classes on plant science, soil science, integrated pest management, diagnostics, annuals and perennials, woody ornamentals, lawns, vegetables, small fruits, tree fruits, household and nuisance pests, indoor plants and gardening practices to protect water quality. Participants must commit to attend all the training classes and complete all (open book) quizzes and final exam with an overall score of at least 80%. Missed classes (up to two) may be made up by attending class lecture on the same topic offered in other locations. Viewing approved recorded sessions is another make up option but is less engaging for course participants.
An Opportunity to Serve. After completing the training, Extension Master Gardener trainees must complete 40 hours of approved horticulture-related service within one year to earn their MSU Extension Master Gardener certification. Through these volunteer activities, trainees educate others in their local community on the science-based, environmentally sound gardening practices learned during their training. Examples of volunteer projects and service may include:
- Working with students to design an elementary school garden.
- Creating a horticulture therapy program at a senior center.
- Helping a neighborhood association create an urban garden.
- Assisting with the MSUE State Lawn and Garden Hotline.
- Caring for educational display gardens at senior centers, parks and other public sites.
- Teaching classes on how to garden.
- Providing technical assistance to community members establishing vegetable gardens to meet local nutritional needs.
- Mentoring teachers in outdoor and indoor classrooms using gardening curricula
- Sharing messages on environmentally-friendly gardening practices at community events.
- Educating community members or groups on how to beautify community sites for special events or community activities that attract local residents and tourists.
After your initial certifying year, you will be required to annually complete and report 5 education and 15 volunteer hours as well as complete a 3-step re-certification process (which includes a $20 re-certification fee).
To enroll in the MSU Extension Master Gardener Master Gardener training course, please complete the online registration and agreement forms. Payment is required at the time of enrollment. Trainees may be interviewed by current Extension Master Gardeners and/or staff prior to engaging in volunteer activities and depending on local requirements, trainees may also be required to undergo a criminal background check before they volunteer.
Training Course Cancellation Policy
MSU Extension reserves the right to cancel any course if the minimum participant levels are not met. Registrants will receive a full refund as follows and may re-register for a future class:
- Credit card payments - a credit will be issued to your credit card for the amount paid.
- Payment by check - MSU will prepare and mail you a check for the amount paid. This process takes about two weeks after the refund has been requested.
Registration and Payments
- Online registrations must be completed by the registration deadline or earlier.
- In the rare event that a registration is accepted after the due date, an additional $25 fee will be assessed to cover registration processing and the MSU Extension Master Gardener Training Manual shipping costs.
- Your class seat is not reserved until payment in full is received and processed by MSU.
- Your registration will be cancelled if payment in full is not received within 10 business days of your registration or by August 11 whichever is sooner.
- Check Due Date: August 4, 2017
- Credit Card Due Date: August 16, 2017
- You have the option of canceling your Extension Master Gardener training registration at any time. Refunds will be issued per the Refund Policy.
- You have the option of canceling your Master Gardener training registration at any time. Refunds will be issued per the Refund Policy.
- A full refund, less a $25 processing fee, will be issued for any registration cancelled prior to ten business days before the class start date.
- No refund will be issued for any registration cancelled within ten business days of the class start date.
- No refund will be issued for any registration cancelled after the training course has started. The MSU Extension Master Gardener Training Manual is for certified Extension Master Gardeners and as such must be returned.
Partial scholarships may be available. There is a scholarship application below that you may fill out to request a scholarship. Scholarship decisions will be made prior to the registration deadline to ensure complete payment is received by the registration deadline. Please work with the coordinator on payment submission if you are awarded a scholarship. (Be sure to also register for the training course to make sure your space is held while decisions are made regarding scholarship applications.)
Training Course Format
Distance technology, with a connection to another training site, may be used to deliver part or all of the training course. Instructors may not be present in the classroom but will be available via distance technology to answer questions.