Making Michigan Recipes Work
Date: October 4, 2016 - October 4, 2016
Time: 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Location: Grow Benzie, 5885 Frankfort Hwy, Benzonia, MI 49616
Contact: Mariel Borgman, 989-506-3922, email@example.com
Making Michigan Recipes Work is a hands-on training experience for K-12 school food service staff to learn handling and culinary skills specific to fresh, Michigan produce. Participants will participate in the preparation of four recipes built around specific Michigan produce items. This training will integrate several produce handling and culinary skill training topics into the recipe preparation, including:
- Understand food safety considerations, including Standard Operating Procedures and HACCP guidelines purchasing, receiving and storing farm fresh produce
- Be trained in the proper way to handle knives and other culinary tools to make a variety of cuts
- Prepare 4 recipes using Michigan farm fresh produce
- Learn how to introduce new foods in their cafeteria through staff engagement, taste testing and Smarter Lunchrooms strategies
- Receive resources to help staff teams to work farm fresh produce into their menu plan, using standardized recipes
Recipes include: Michigan salad, stoplight soup, Fall roasted vegetable medley, and a fruit and yogurt parfait.
These trainings will be held in five locations around the state throughout the end of summer and fall. Training dates and locations are listed below:
Marquette Senior High School
1203 W Fair St
Marquette, MI 49855
October 4, 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.*
5885 Frankfort Hwy
Benzonia, MI 49616
October 20, 2 p.m. - 6 p.m.*
Okemos High School
2800 Jolly Rd
Okemos, MI 48864
November 3, 2:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.
East Kentwood Freshman Campus
6170 Valley Lane SE
Kentwood, MI 49508
November 8, 12 p.m. - 4 p.m.
Warren Consolidated Schools
31950 Mound Rd
Warren, MI 48092
*Training times may be altered slightly depending on kitchen availability