It’s All About Water and Increasing Your Bottom Line
Date: July 28, 2015 - July 29, 2015
Time: 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
Location: Amway Grand Plaza Hotel; 187 Monroe Ave NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
Contact: Tom Fernandez, firstname.lastname@example.org or 517-355-5191 ext. 1336; Amy Frankmann, email@example.com or 517-381-0437
The MSU Department of Horticulture and the Michigan Nursery and Landscape Association are pleased to announce a conference for growers interested in improving their water management knowledge.
Tuesday, July 28, 2015 Conference
Learn from national experts in water quality and management issues related to the Green Industries at this one-day conference. Speakers will cover topics ranging from irrigation management to how better water management can increase your bottom line and motivate consumer purchasing.
Presenters and topics:
- Tom Fernandez, Michigan State University- Introduction
- Amy Fulcher, University of Tennessee- Irrigation strategies to improve plant production and conserve water
- Marc van Iersel, University of Georgia- Current state of automated irrigation systems- how they work, where/how to buy or develop, example(s) of system(s) in use
- Jim Owen, Virginia Tech- Getting the most out of your fertilizer: How placement and irrigation management affect fertilizer availability
- Sarah White, Clemson University- Recycling irrigation water: From the pump to the pond and back again
- Rosa Raudales, University of Connecticut- Waterborne pathogens: Problems and management
- Paul Fisher, University of Florida- Designing an effective water treatment system: Case studies of grower operations
- John Majsztrik, Clemson University (work presented from time at University of Maryland)- Economics of improved irrigation management
- Bridget Behe, Michigan State University- How growers can capitalize on consumer perceptions of improved water management
Wednesday, July 29, 2015 optional tour
- An optional tour of nurseries and greenhouses focusing on water management strategies and other technology is available. The tour departs from and returns to the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel.
- The registration fee for the conference is $90 and includes lunch.
- The optional tour fee is an additional $50 per person and will include lunch.
- Overnight accommodations are available at the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel for our group at the rate of $129 plus taxes and fees. Contact the Amway Grand Plaza directly at toll-free 800-253-3590/local 616-776-6450 and mention the MNLA, MSU Water Conference to get our group rate. There are limited rooms at this rate so register early.
View the flier for more information on the conference, the speakers and to mail in a registration form.