Grazing School 2016
Date: September 22, 2016 - September 23, 2016
Time: 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Location: See description
Contact: See description
MSU is Offering Grazing School at Three Locations
Michigan State University Extension is offering grazing school for dairy, livestock and small ruminant producers at three locations in Michigan simultaneously via high speed video conferencing in September. There will be a team of experts at each location that will broadcast their expertise to the different sites with technology that allows for interactive chat from participants with those experts. This new technology allows for additional expertise to be shared and expanded networking of producers through various online and face-to-face discussions.
Grazing school will be held on Sept. 22 and 23, 2016 and will begin at 8 a.m. on Thursday and concluding at 4 p.m. on Friday
The two-day school will be offered at the following locations:
- The MSU W.K. Kellogg Biological Station Farm and Dairy Meeting Room in Hickory Corners, Michigan
- The MSU Lake City Research Center in Lake City, Michigan
- Bay Mills Community College in Brimley, Michigan
Participants only need to attend the closest location to participate in the full school and gain the expertise of speakers around the state of MI.
The goal of the school is to blend classroom instruction with in-field education and the latest animal/forage research to give participants an in-depth introduction to grazing management.
Feature presentations will cover approaches to:
- Introduction to managed grazing
- Pasture management and decision making
- Livestock nutrition and requirements on pasture
- Forage yield determination and pasture allocation
- Grass and legume species identification
- Pasture soil fertility and management
- Grazing systems, layout and design
- Water systems and requirements
- Building and using fence for grazing
- Pasture establishment and improvement
Experts Participating In-Person at KBS:
- Kim Cassida, Ph.D., MSU Forage Specialist
- Richard Ehrhardt Ph.D., MSU Small Ruminant
- Kevin Gould, Beef Educator, MSU Extension
- Dean Baas, Cover Crops Educator, MSU Extension
- Phil Kaatz, Forage Educator, MSU Extension
- Brook Willke, Ph.D., Kellogg Farm Manager, W.K. Kellogg Biological Station, Farm
- Howard Straub III, Dairy Manager, W.K. Kellogg Biological Station, Pasture Dairy Center
Experts Participating In-Person at Lake City:
- Jason Roundtree, Ph.D., MSU Beef Specialist
- Jerry Lindquist, Grazing Educator, MSU Extension
- Kable Thurlow, Beef Educator, MSU Extension
- Doug Carmichael, Farm Manager, Lake City Research Center
- Boyd Byelich, NRCS
Experts Participating In-Person at Bay Mills Community College:
- Paul Naasz, Chatham Farm Manager
- Frank Wardynski, Ruminant educator, MSU Extension
- James Isleib, Crop production educator, MSU Extension
- Monica Young, Farm Manager, Waishay Bay Farm, Bay Mills Community College
Registration is $125 for one participant; $220 for two participant from the same farm, and $315 for three participants from the same farm. The registration deadline is September 18, 2016. After the deadline, fees are as follows:$150 for one participant, $270 for two participants from the same farm, and $390 for three participants from the same farm. The workshop fee includes notebooks, resource materials, and all meals.
- Misty Klotz, KBS Pasture Dairy Outreach Coordinator at The MSU Kellogg Biological Station - Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Phone:269-671-2402
- Jerry Lindquist, MSU Extension Grazing Educator at MSU Lake City Ag BioResearch Center - Email: email@example.com or Phone: 231-832-6139
- Frank Wardynski, MSU Extension Beef & Dairy Educator at Chatham BioResearch Center - Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Phone: 906-884-4386
MSU is an affirmative-action, equal opportunity employer. Michigan State University Extension programs and materials are open to all without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, religion, age, height, weight, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, marital status, family status or veteran status.