Farm Transition and Business Succession Planning Workshop
Date: August 13, 2013 - August 27, 2013
Location: Huron County Expo Center, 170 Soper Road, Bad Axe, MI
Contact: Sanilac MSUE, 810-648-2515; Huron MSUE, 989-269-9949; Tuscola MSUE, 989-672-3870
TOPICS OF DISCUSSION
- What are some of the basic building blocks of a farm transition plan?
- What needs to get done to build a plan of action and when to implement it?
- Keeping the farm/business in the family or not.
- Fair is not always equal in farm families.
- What type of business arrangement should be considered?
- How can you evaluate the farm’s business position to take on a new partner?
- What are the options for an owner to retire/phase out of a management role?
- How can you successfully transfer assets and the farm’s management?
- Where will communication take your future farm business?
- How can you set real goals for your family farm transfer? (Farms are encouraged to send more than one representative from each generation,)
Presenters: Trent Hilding, Attorney; MSU-Extension Educators, Dennis Stein, District Farm Management and Craig Thomas, Dairy Farm Business Management & Milk Marketing