Drip Irrigation and Sensor Technology Field Day
Date: July 25, 2018
Time: 1-4 p.m. or 6:30-8:30 p.m.
Location: Southwest Michigan Research and Extension Center (SWMREC), 1701 Hillandale Rd, Benton Harbor, MI 49022
Contact: Lyndon Kelley, firstname.lastname@example.org; Steve Miller, email@example.com
This field day will cover in greater depth the information presented at the June 28, 2018 Ag Innovation Day seminar. You can attend either the 3-hour afternoon presentation or the 2-hour evening presentation.
Observe and evaluate the flow distribution in soil under surface and subsurface drip tape and visualize distribution in trenches excavated to exposed flow patterns.
Compare the different types of volumetric water content sensors at multiple soil depths. Sensors include Campbell Scientific, Sentek, METER Group, Watermark Blocks, and Irrometers. Representatives from some of the sensor companies will attend to discuss results from their sensors at the site.
Explain how irrigation scheduling can be improved with the use of volumetric moisture content sensors.
What drip emitter spacing is best for you:
- Spacing of drip emitters does impact the water distribution of water to plants when grown under plastic.
- Visualize the flow patterns with a trench and determine if 16-in spacing provides as good spacing as 12-in spacing.
Look at the entire system:
- Evaluate the irrigation scheduling system.
- Evaluate the sensors to manage water application rates
- Evaluate the timing for tomatoes and sweet corn.