4-H Discovery Camp
Date: July 9, 2012 - July 13, 2012
Location: MSU Campus, East Lansing, MI
Explore how Michigan’s abundant natural resources and growing agriculture industry are changing the face of energy and what it means to your family, Michigan and the world!
Michigan 4-H Discovery Camp is a five-day exploration camp held at Michigan State University for youth ages 13-19. Campers will explore ideas, research and opportunities in the field of energy as it relates to natural resources and agriculture.
4-H Discovery campers will stay in a campus dorm and experience campus life, enjoying a mix of recreational opportunities and learning experiences that may include:
- Tours of on-campus labs – See cutting-edge research centered on turning biomass into biofuel. Learn about brand new ideas and technologies that will play a significant role in our energy future.
- Kellogg Biological Station – Participate in hands-on research of a new biofuel crop and discuss water quality/quantity needs, greenhouse gas emissions and sustainable production practices.
- Zeeland Farm Services – Tour their commercial production facility and watch soybeans being processed for biodiesel or food-grade oil. Learn the importance of processing raw commodities.
- Carbon Green Bioenergy – Watch this facility turn 50,000 bushels of corn into 135,000 gallons of ethanol – every day. Participants will not only see how it’s done, but help them do it!
- Wind Farm – See an operating wind farm and learn how much energy they can generate and how wind can impact our future.
- MSU Power Plant – Tour the Power Plant and see how conventional and alternative energy sources are being used to power the university.
4-H Discovery campers will also conduct their own experiments and create their own biofuel! http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2EFu6xv1zPY
How do I apply?
Youth ages 13 to 19 will need to complete the 2012 Michigan 4-H Discovery Camp Application Packet and submit it by May 1. Space is limited! Campers will be selected on the basis of their applications.
Send your application to Holly Lacina at firstname.lastname@example.org by May 1. Call 517-432-7604 to find out more.
What is the cost?
The cost to attend this five-day camp is just $150 ($160 for youth who are not 4-H members) and includes all meals, transportation to field trips, lodging and materials.