4-H Capitol Experience
Date: March 16, 2013 - March 20, 2013
Location: Various Locations, Lansing, MI
Contact: Jackie Martin, email@example.com, 734-222-3877
4-H Capitol Experience is an annual four-day conference that focuses on civic engagement and public policy. Up to 100 teens from around the state converge on Lansing, Mich. to experience state government in action and learn how they can influence policy issues. Participants interact with legislators, state agency staff, lobbyists and other resource people to learn how policy is made. Attendees will:
- Understand the responsibilities of a citizen
- Explore different aspects of a policy issue that may affect individuals and communities
- Explore various careers in public policy
- Attend bill writing session
- Have an in-depth meeting with someone in (or involved with) state government
Simulations and activities are incorporated to reinforce and apply what is learned about government. Teens leave the conference with the charge to share what they have learned and get involved with other leadership and civic engagement activities in their communities!
Open to high school youth ages 14-19. Registration and other information is available on the Michigan 4-H website. Registration due to county offices by Feb. 6. Cost for 4-H members: $300; non 4-H members: $310.