2018 Winter Grower Produce Safety Certification Course
Date: March 15, 2018
Time: 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Location: Kent County MSU Extension, 775 Ball Ave NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
Contact: MSU Extension Jackson, 517-788-4292; Karen Warner, email@example.com; Kelly Navarro, firstname.lastname@example.org
2018 Winter Program locations:
- Hart – Jan. 4, 2018 – Oceana County MSU Extension, 844 S. Griswold Street, Hart, MI 49420
- Saginaw – Jan. 12, 2018 – Saginaw Community Foundation, 1 Tuscola Street, Saginaw MI 48607
- Traverse City – Jan. 18, 2018 – Northwestern Michigan College, 1701 E. Front Street, Traverse City, MI 49686
- Adrian – Jan. 22, 2018 – MSU Extension Lenawee County, 1040 S. Winter Street, Adrian MI 49221
- Hart – Jan. 31, 2018 - Oceana County MSU Extension, 844 S. Griswold Street, Hart, MI 49420
- Benton Harbor – Feb. 6, 2018 – Southwest Michigan Research and Extension Center (SWMREC), 1791 Hillandale Road, Benton Harbor MI 49022
- Hudsonville – Feb. 15, 2018 – The Pinnacle Center, 3330 Highland Drive, Hudsonville, MI 49426
- Lapeer – Feb. 22, 2018 – Lapeer County Center, 425 County Center Drive, Lapeer, MI 48446
- Benton Harbor – Mar. 1, 2018 – Southwest Michigan Research and Extension Center (SWMREC), 1791 Hillandale Road, Benton Harbor MI 49022
- Grand Rapids – Mar. 15, 2018 – Kent County MSU Extension, 775 Ball Ave NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
- Sault Ste. Marie – Mar. 21, 2018 – Bayliss Public Library, 541 Library Drive, Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783 (For Sault Ste. Marie ONLY registration and training will begin at 10 am.)
Day-long Course Schedule (subject to change):
- 9 a.m. Registration
- 9:30 a.m. Training
- 12 p.m. Lunch (On Own)
- 1:15 p.m. Training
- 4 p.m. Evaluation, certificate application
The following required modules will be included:
- Introduction to Produce Safety
- Worker Health, Hygiene, and Training
- Soil Amendments
- Wildlife, Domestic Animals, and Land Use
- Agricultural Water
- Postharvest Handling and Sanitation
- How to Develop a Farm Food Safety Plan
At least one supervisor from the farm must complete the food safety training at least equivalent to the standardized curriculum recognized by FDA. The certificate of course completion will be issued at a later date when all paperwork has been reviewed. Participants must attend all seven modules to obtain certification.
Registration limit: One person per farm or entity.
Registration deadline: Five days before event, or until full. Preregistration required.
Sponsors include the Michigan State University Product Center, Produce Safety Alliance, US Food and Drug Administration, Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development and Michigan Farm Bureau
PAR-16-137 FDA/MDARD Cooperative Agreement Proposal, entitled State and Territory Cooperative Agreement to Enhance Produce Safety in Preparation of Implementation of FDA’s Rule: Standards for the Growing, Harvesting, Packing, & Holding of Produce for Human Consumption.
Because of space and materials limitations, preregistration is required. One person per business may attend an individual session. If you are unable to attend, please let us know so that someone else may participate.
Future 2018 Grower Produce Safety events will be announced in MSU Extension News and at www.msue.msu.edu.