2017 Fall Grower Produce Safety Course - CANCELLED
Date: October 19, 2017 - December 7, 2017
Time: 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Location: Southwest Michigan Research & Extension Center, 1791 Hillandale Road, Benton Harbor, MI 49022
Contact: MSU Extension Jackson, 517-788-4292; Karen Warner, firstname.lastname@example.org; Kelly Navarro, email@example.com
This event has been cancelled.
Michigan State University Extension will host the Food and Drug Administration-defined Produce Safety Alliance Grower Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) certification course at various locations. Those interested in learning about Good Agricultural Practices (GAP‘s), produce safety, co-management, and the FDA Food Safety Modernization Act Produce Safety Rule are invited to participate. (Chose one site.)
2017 Fall Program locations:
- Benton Harbor - Oct. 19, 2017 - Southwest Michigan Research & Extension Center, 1791 Hillandale Road, Benton Harbor, MI 49022
- Detroit - Oct. 23, 2017 - The Westin Book Cadillac, 1114 Washington Blvd., Detroit, MI 48226
- Dundee - Nov. 1, 2017 - Cabela’s, 110 Cabelas Blvd. E, Dundee, MI 48131
- Frankenmuth - Nov. 6, 2017 - Bavarian Inn, 1 Covered Bridge Ln, Frankenmuth, MI 48734
- Grand Rapids - Dec. 7, 2017 - Amway Grand Plaza, 187 Monroe Ave NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
Day-long Course Schedule (subject to change):
- 9 a.m. Registration
- 9:30 a.m. Training
- 12 p.m. Lunch (On Own)
- 1:15 p.m. Training
- 4 p.m. Evaluation, certificate application
The following required modules will be included:
- Introduction to Produce Safety
- Worker Health, Hygiene, and Training
- Soil Amendments
- Wildlife, Domestic Animals, and Land Use
- Agricultural Water
- Postharvest Handling and Sanitation
- How to Develop a Farm Food Safety Plan
At least one supervisor from the farm must complete the food safety training at least equivalent to the standardized curriculum recognized by FDA. The certificate of course completion will be issued at a later date when all paperwork has been reviewed. Participants must attend all seven modules to obtain certification.
Registration limit: One person per farm or entity.
Registration deadline: Five days before event, or until full. Preregistration required.
Sponsors include the Michigan State University Product Center, Produce Safety Alliance, US Food and Drug Administration, Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development and Michigan Farm Bureau
PAR-16-137 FDA/MDARD Cooperative Agreement Proposal, entitled State and Territory Cooperative Agreement to Enhance Produce Safety in Preparation of Implementation of FDA’s Rule: Standards for the Growing, Harvesting, Packing, & Holding of Produce for Human Consumption.
Because of space and materials limitations, preregistration is required. One person per business may attend an individual session. If you are unable to attend, please let us know so that someone else may participate.
Future 2017 Grower Produce Safety events will be announced in MSU Extension News and at www.msue.msu.edu.