2016 MSU Controlled Atmosphere Storage Clinic
Date: August 3, 2016
Time: 7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Location: Boulder Creek Golf Club, 5750 Brewer Ave., NE, Belmont, MI 49306
Contact: Amy Irish-Brown, firstname.lastname@example.org
The 2016 MSU Controlled Atmosphere Storage Clinic will be held at the Boulder Creek Golf Club in Belmont, Michigan on August 3, 2016.
The Controlled Atmosphere (CA) Clinic is organized by the Department of Horticulture at Michigan State every other year to pass on new information relating to controlled atmosphere storage and warehousing of apple and other temperate fruit. The CA Clinic serves to facilitate communication between researchers, industry spokespersons, technical experts and packinghouse and storage operators. Attendees should expect to be brought up-to-date on the most recent scientific findings and related practical developments in the field of CA and refrigerated storage.
We are fortunate this year to feature Drs. Jennifer DeEll (ONT) and Peter Toivonen (BC), two of the nation’s leading experts on the storage of apples. Presentations will deal broadly with the challenges of successful fruit storage and will highlight the storage of the Honeycrisp and other difficult to store apples. In the Great Lakes Region, we have begun to store Honeycrisp in CA storage - a practice that will likely become commonplace in the coming years. Importantly, an adequate storage strategy for Honeycrisp has been difficult to come by: sensitivities to low temperature and typical storage atmospheres have made this an extremely challenging fruit to store. In addition, there will be presentations by experts from MSU (Drs. Beaudry and Lu) and a number of technical updates from leaders of postharvest industries including Decco, Storage Control Systems, and AgroFresh.
- Use of DPA to prevent CA injury in Honeycrisp and Empire (Randy Beaudry)
- Storing Honeycrisp - Harvista highlights, delayed CA, O2 injury (Jennifer DeEll)
- Storage of Western apple varieties (Peter Toivonen)
- Internal browning disorders in Empire McIntosh and Gala (Jennifer DeEll)
- Understanding the DA Meter (Peter Toivonen)
- Structured illumination reflectance imaging for detecting defects in apples and other horticultural products (Renfu Lu)
- Dynamic CA technologies - a review (Randy Beaudry)
- In-field Apple Sorting System Update (Renfu Lu)
7:30 a.m. Registration and Breakfast
8:30 a.m. Program Starts
12 p.m. Lunch
4 p.m. Adjourn