2015 Master Citizen Planner Webinar Series
Date: October 15, 2015
Time: 7 - 8 p.m.
Contact: Janean Danca, at 269-657-8213 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The 2015 Master Citizen Planner (MCP) Webinar Series is designed to offer participants the latest updates and information on current topics. Using Adobe Connect, MSU Extension educators will provide an overview of topics of interest to planning and zoning officials. Classes are the third Thursday of February, April, June, August, October and December from 7 to 8 p.m. Each session is available individually or participants can register for all six at once. MCPs will earn one credit hour per webinar.
- Can Local Governments Regulate Oil and Gas Development? - February 19 - Dean Solomon; Oil and gas development using hydraulic fracturing is controversial in Michigan and throughout the nation. During this webinar, learn about Michigan laws and regulations, and restrictions on local government’s authority to regulate this land use.
- Update on Planning and Zoning for Urban Agriculture- April 16 - Brad Neumann, AICP; With the increased interest in local foods over the years and the changes to the Site Selection GAAMPs in 2014, more communities are planning and zoning for urban livestock specifically and urban agriculture in general. Learn about the legal framework, forthcoming recommendations from the Department of Agriculture and Rural Development, and resources for supporting a flourishing community food system.
- Refresher on Making Effective Meetings Happen - June 18 - Julie Pioch, PRP; This interactive program will provide an opportunity to problem solve parliamentary procedure and all for sharing meeting process questions.
- Restrictions on Zoning Authority: Wireless Communication Facilities, Part 2 - August 20 - Kurt Schindler, AICP; In 2012, Congress passed a law that says “A state or local government may not deny, and shall approve, any eligible facilities request for a modification of an existing wireless tower or base station that does not substantially change the physical dimensions of such tower or base station.” In late 2014, the Federal Communications Commission issued a ruling that interprets the many ambiguities found in Congress’s action. This webinar will be a summary of the FCC’s 155-page ruling.
- New and Innovative Techniques in Park and Recreation Development Improvements - October 15 - Ingrid Ault; Participants will learn about cutting edge recreational advancements and new funding options, including the use of ‘crowdfunding’ for park development.
- Creating Retail Streets - December 17 - Glenn Pape, CNU-A; Best practices for creating successful retail streets. Participants will learn tools and techniques for creating successful retail environments that increase property values and create place.
Cost per webinar: $10 for MCPs; $20 for Regular Registrants