Ottawa MSU Extension Office Services
Financial transactions by cash or check, office does not accept credit cards
A variety of educational programs are offered in all program areas throughout the year. Click on the “Events” tab at the top of the page to find meetings and workshop that may be of interest to you.
Educational Bulletins & Publications
- MSU Extension bulletins as well as some publications from various governmental agencies and educational resources are available. We suggest you call the office for publication availability.
- MSU Extension publications are also available online from the MSU Extension Bookstore at www.shop.msu.edu.
Home, Yard and Garden
Toll Free Lawn and Garden Hotline: 1-888-678-3464 (1-888-MSUE-4MI)
Hotline is staffed by MSU Extension Consumer Horticulture Educators and Master Gardener volunteers, the hotline is available weekdays 9 a.m. - noon and 1 - 4 p.m. When calling the 1-888-678-3464 number, please make sure to choose Option #1 for the Hotline.
Plant and Insect Diagnostics
Questions involving plant health analysis, plant/weed identification and insect infestation may be answered by also calling toll-free 1-888-678-3464 (Option 1). If a complete diagnostic analysis is necessary, a live sample may be sent to the Michigan State University Center for Integrated Plant Systems (CIPS) for a fee. Call our office or go online for more information on the services offered by CIPS.
Soil Testing (Don’t guess…soil test!)
Home Self-Serve Test Kit (Residential Lawns, Vegetable Gardens, Flower Gardens, Trees and Shrubs)
Available to purchase for $25 in our office with cash or check; or order online with credit card at the MSU Extension Bookstore at www.shop.msu.edu – Bulletin E-3154 Note: You must provide an email address as results will be sent directly to you via email. If you would like help interpreting test results, call our statewide Lawn and Garden Helpline at 1-888-678-3464, option 1.
Commercial (Agricultural Crops, Commercial Growers, Pastures and Wildlife Forage)
Soil boxes for sample collection cannot be ordered on-line but can be purchased at the office at a cost of $12 each. You will receive a Soil Sample Information form to complete and send with your samples to the MSU Soil and Plant Nutrient Laboratory. Test results will be interpreted by an agricultural Extension educator. If you are unable to come to our office to purchase your soil sample box or you would like to purchase a large quantity of boxes, you will need to contact the Soil & Plant Nutrient Lab at 517-355-0218. Our office is not able to mail the boxes to you. To understand your soil test results, fertilizer calculator etc. please visit MSU Soil Test.com
Ottawa County Phosphorus Fertilizer Ordinance
Effective January 1, 2008: All areas in Ottawa County are prohibited the use of any lawn fertilizer containing more than 0 percent phosphorus; prohibited the use of any fertilizer on frozen ground; prohibited the use of any fertilizer on impervious surfaces including parking lots, roadways and sidewalks.
- Newly-established turf or lawn areas during their first growing season.
- Turf or lawn areas that have been shown within the last 3 years to be Phosphorus deficient through laboratory analysis (soil test).
- Agricultural areas, gardens, or applications to trees and /or shrubs.
- Compost or similar natural organic materials.
Pesticide Applicator Program; Certification, Training, Exams & Manuals
Certification and Training
- MSU Extension Pesticide Training & Certification
- Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development (MDARD)
All exam and scheduling questions should be addressed to the Michigan Department of Ag (MDA) at 1-800-292-3939.
Manuals for Certification Training
- Can be purchased at the office, however, we suggest you call ahead to make sure they are in stock.
- Online at the MSU Extension Bookstore at www.shop.msu.edu – (online purchases may be made with a credit card).
Ottawa County Plat Books are produced by the Ottawa County Geographic Information Systems Department. A portion of the proceeds from each plat book goes to Ottawa County 4-H. Plat books are available at the Ottawa Treasurer’s Office for $25.00 or visit miottawa.org for information on purchasing a plat book online.