Lapeer County 4-H
Did you know 4-H can transform youths’ lives?! What 4-H can do for a youth:
- Youth learn critical life skills that prepare them for the workforce, especially highly sought after careers in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM).
- They learn leadership, responsibility, decision-making skills, teamwork and self-motavation, to name a few, that increases their likelihood to become civically active in their own communities.
- They are 60% less likely to engage in risky, problem behaviors and 70% more likely to be emotionally and behaviorally engaged with school.
- Nearly twice as likely to plan to attend college and three times more likely to contribute to their communities.
(Tufts University 4-H Study of positive youth development)
4-H seeks to shape youth into educationally-minded, well-adjusted and productive citizens for our county’s future. They learn to ask questions and solve problems, guided by caring adult volunteers, who share their time and talents to better our community.
4-H is a positive youth development organization where young people are learning leadership, citizenship and life skills. Lapeer County youth ages 5-19 can join one of the many clubs located all over the county. You do not need to own an animal or live on a farm to join 4-H! We have many clubs that focus on non-animal projects, such as archery, shooting sports, crafts, sewing and fly fishing.
It only costs $10 per year or $30 for a family of 3 or more to join 4-H - even if you’re a member of more than one club! Additional project supply cost may vary, depending on the club. Clubs must meet a minimum of six times per year. The schedule and meeting locations are set by each club. New Lapeer County 4-H Brochure coming soon!
Once a 4-H member, did you know you’re eligible for many other Michigan State University workshops, awards and scholarships? These additional programs educate, reward and encourage youth to envision a bright future and master essential life skills to be successful adults.
More helpful links to learn more about 4-H:
Lapeer County 4-H Match Endowment
Lapeer County 4-H has a once in a lifetime opportunity to ensure our progam reaches youth for generations to come with the Lapeer County 4-H Endowment Match. The program is eligible to receive a 1:1 match for evey dollar raised to establish and grow the Lapeer County 4-H Endowment. Currently, our county has raised over $20,000 as of August 2016! Our goal is to reach or exceed $50,000, which will create a $100,000 endowment. Please help us achieve our goal of $50,000 that will provide funding for youth development programming to benefit our local youth for generations! For infomation on how you can help “Make the Match for Lapeer County 4-H”, visit the campaign web site at Lapeer County Match Endowment or contact the Lapeer County MSU Extension office at 810-667-0343.
For more information, please contact:
Kathy George, 4-H Program Coordinator
How to Join 4-H
- 4-H Capitol Experience
- 4-H Exploration Days
- 4-H Great Lakes Natural Resources Camp
- 4-H Volunteer Training Workshop Schedule
- International Exchange Programs
Other State/National Sites