Programs and Events
- Smart Gardening: Raised Beds & Container Gardening will be held on Monday, May 11, from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Riverview Launch site. Flier. Free to attend, please pre-register.
- Plant Sale sponsored by Kalamazoo Master Gardeners will be May 8 & 9, 2015 in the Kalamazoo County building located at 3299 Gull Road (Nazareth complex). Everyone is welcome to shop; a beautiful selection of perennials, hanging baskets, annual flowers, vegetables, herbs and gardening gifts will be available. Daily drawing for a free hanging basket. A wonderful opportunity for Mother’s Day shopping! Flier.
- Restock the Garden Shed fundraiser to help the Giving Garden replace the items stolen recently from the garden’s shed. The garden coordinators would welcome donations of used garden equipment or tools, or monetary donations. The list of items stolen may be viewed here.
Learn More About the Master Gardener Program:
- Visit Kalamazoo County Master Gardeners on Facebook
- Michigan Master Gardener Volunteer Program - get more information here.
- For information about upcoming Master Gardener classes.
Volunteer Management System (VMS) for Master Gardeners to enter their hours, learn about upcoming programs and events, share photos, and stay in touch with other Master Gardeners.
Michigan Master Gardener Association information:
- Website: www.michiganmastergardeners.org
- Facebook: Michigan Master Gardener Association, Inc.
Kalamazoo Master Gardener Association (KCMGA)
The Kalamazoo County Master Gardener Association (KCMGA) is a group of certified Master Gardeners who meet throughout the year for community service, education and social networking . The KCMGA also sponsors summer garden walks in the community showcasing a variety of gardens, both public and private.
2015 General Membership Meeting Dates:
May 18 at 6:30 p.m. at Prince of Peace Church on Milham Avenue in Portage. We will begin with a potluck at 6:30 p.m., speaker will follow at 7 p.m. and meeting will close with a plant exchange.
Master Gardener Support
Donations are welcomed to offset the costs to operate the Kalamazoo County Master Gardener program. Donation forms are available online or you may contact Linda Whitlock, Coordinator, for more information.
Digging Deeper - Gardening Information
- Gardening in Michigan
- The Garden Professors Blog
- eXtension Master Gardener Blog
- MSU Soil Test Kit
- Certified Arborists
- Michigan Fresh
Be alert for these invasive pests and deadly diseases:
- Spotted wing drosophila, a small vinegar fly with the potential to damage many fruit crops.
- Oak Wilt, a potentially deadly disease of red oak trees
- Brown Marmorated Stink Bug, causing feeding damage in high value specialty crops including tomatoes, sweet peppers, raspberries, apples, peaches, pears and cherries as well as damage in corn and soybeans.
- Thousand Cankers Disease which primarily affect black walnut trees.
- Emerald Ash Borer is an exotic beetle that was first spotted in southeastern Michigan in 2002, and has since spread through the Midwest. It is deadly to untreated ash trees.
- Asian Longhorned Beetle, a serious pest of hardwood trees.
Please report sightings of these invasive pests to the Midwest Invasive Species Information Network.
Other pests you may encounter:
Diseases and insects affecting evergreen trees:
- Common problems affecting the health of evergreen trees.
- Needlecast diseases can infect most evergreen trees