Programs and Events
Learn More About the Master Gardener Program:
- Visit Kalamazoo County Master Gardeners on Facebook
- Michigan Master Gardener Volunteer Program - get more information here.
- Upcoming Master Gardener classes are listed here.
- Volunteer Management System (VMS) for Master Gardeners to enter their hours, learn about upcoming programs and events, share photos and stay in touch with other Master Gardeners.
Michigan Master Gardener Association information:
- Website: www.michiganmastergardeners.org
- Facebook: Michigan Master Gardener Association, Inc.
Kalamazoo Master Gardener Association (KCMGA)
The Kalamazoo County Master Gardener Association (KCMGA) is a group of certified Master Gardeners who meet throughout the year for community service, education and social networking. The KCMGA sponsors summer garden walks in the community showcasing a variety of gardens, and sponsors a bus trip each summer that is open to members and the public.
2016 General Membership Meeting Dates:
Membership meetings are held the third Monday of November, January, March, April and May. Meetings begin with speaker at 7:00 pm followed by networking and a business meeting. In May, there is a potluck beginning at 6:30 pm and a plant exchange following the meeting.
Master Gardener Support
Donations are welcomed to offset the costs to operate the Kalamazoo County Master Gardener program. Donation forms are available online or you may contact Linda Whitlock, Coordinator, for more information.
Digging Deeper - Gardening Information
- Report sightings of brown marmorated stink bugs at the Midwest Invasive Species Information Network (MISIN), www.misin.msu.edu .
- Giant hogweed is rarely found in Michigan
- Information on diseases affecting vegetables from Dr. Hausbeck’s lab at MSU
- Late Blight monitoring map for Michigan
- Local weather information for Kalamazoo
- Gardening in Michigan website
- The Garden Professors Blog
- eXtension Master Gardener Blog
- MSU Soil Test Kit
- Certified Arborists
- Michigan Fresh
Be alert for these invasive pests and deadly diseases:
- Spotted wing drosophila, a small vinegar fly with the potential to damage many fruit crops.
- Oak Wilt, a potentially deadly disease of red oak trees.
- Brown Marmorated Stink Bug, causing feeding damage in high value specialty crops including tomatoes, sweet peppers, raspberries, apples, peaches, pears and cherries as well as damage in corn and soybeans.
- Thousand Cankers Disease, which primarily affects black walnut trees.
- Emerald Ash Borer is an exotic beetle that was first spotted in southeastern Michigan in 2002 and has since spread through the Midwest. It is deadly to untreated ash trees.
- Asian Longhorned Beetle, a serious pest of hardwood trees.
Please report sightings of these invasive pests to the Midwest Invasive Species Information Network.
Other pests you may encounter:
Diseases and insects affecting evergreen trees:
- Common problems affecting the health of evergreen trees.
- Needlecast diseases can infect most evergreen trees