Programs and Events
- The Giving Garden, a Master Gardener project growing food to share with others, suffered a theft of garden equipment this spring. We are holding a fundraiser to restock the garden shed and invite everyone to consider donating used equipment or tools from this list, or to make a monetary donation that will be used to purchase replacements for the equipment that was stolen.
Digging Deeper - Gardening Resources
- Information on Vegetable Diseases such as Late Blight from Dr. Mary Hausbeck’s lab @ MSU
- Late Blight Monitoring Map for Michigan
- Local Weather Information for Kalamazoo area
- Gardening in Michigan website
- The Garden Professors Blog
- eXtension Master Gardener Blog
- MSU Soil Test Kit
- Certified Arborists
- Michigan Fresh
Be alert for these invasive pests and deadly diseases:
- Spotted wing drosophila, a small vinegar fly with the potential to damage many fruit crops.
- Oak Wilt, a potentially deadly disease of red oak trees
- Brown Marmorated Stink Bug, causing feeding damage in high value specialty crops including tomatoes, sweet peppers, raspberries, apples, peaches, pears and cherries as well as damage in corn and soybeans.
- Thousand Cankers Disease which primarily affect black walnut trees.
- Emerald Ash Borer is an exotic beetle that was first spotted in southeastern Michigan in 2002, and has since spread through the Midwest. It is deadly to untreated ash trees.
- Asian Longhorned Beetle, a serious pest of hardwood trees.
Please report sightings of these invasive pests to the Midwest Invasive Species Information Network.
Other pests you may encounter:
Diseases and insects affecting evergreen trees:
- Common problems affecting the health of evergreen trees.
- Needlecast diseases can infect most evergreen trees.