Programs and Events
Smart Gardening: Raised Beds & Container Gardening will be held on Monday, May 11, from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Riverview Launch site. Flier. Free to attend, please pre-register.
Plant Sale sponsored by Kalamazoo Master Gardeners will be May 8 & 9, 2015 in the Kalamazoo County building located at 3299 Gull Road (Nazareth complex). Everyone is welcome to shop; a beautiful selection of perennials, hanging baskets, annual flowers, vegetables, herbs and gardening gifts will be available. Daily drawing for a free hanging basket. A wonderful opportunity for Mother’s Day shopping! Flier.
The Giving Garden, a Master Gardener project growing food to share with others, recently had a break-in and theft. We are holding a fundraiser to restock the garden shed and invite everyone to consider donating used equipment or tools from this list, or to make a monetary donation that will be used to purchase replacements for the equipment that was stolen.
From the 2014 Tomato Taste-off competition, here are the winning varieties of tomatoes. Watch for details of the 2015 competition, coming September 12, 2015.
Cherry (small) tomatoes:
1st – Sungold
2nd place tie – Early Ssubakus Aliana & Sugar Snack
3rd place – Purple Dragon
Large slicers (hybrids)
1st – Big Boy
2nd place – Beefmaster
3rd place – Texwine
1st place – Pink Ping Pong
2nd place - Georgia Sunrise
Digging Deeper - Gardening Resources
- Gardening in Michigan
- The Garden Professors Blog
- eXtension Master Gardener Blog
- MSU Soil Test Kit
- Certified Arborists
- Michigan Fresh
Be alert for these invasive pests and deadly diseases:
- Spotted wing drosophila, a small vinegar fly with the potential to damage many fruit crops.
- Oak Wilt, a potentially deadly disease of red oak trees
- Brown Marmorated Stink Bug, causing feeding damage in high value specialty crops including tomatoes, sweet peppers, raspberries, apples, peaches, pears and cherries as well as damage in corn and soybeans.
- Thousand Cankers Disease which primarily affect black walnut trees.
- Emerald Ash Borer is an exotic beetle that was first spotted in southeastern Michigan in 2002, and has since spread through the Midwest. It is deadly to untreated ash trees.
- Asian Longhorned Beetle, a serious pest of hardwood trees.
Please report sightings of these invasive pests to the Midwest Invasive Species Information Network.
Other pests you may encounter:
Diseases and insects affecting evergreen trees:
- Common problems affecting the health of evergreen trees.
- Needlecast diseases can infect most evergreen trees.