County Enrollment Deadline: March 15 to show at the Eaton County Fair as a 4-H member. Enrollment begins in September.
Age: 5-19 as of Jan. 1 of the current program year (Sept. 1 – Aug. 31). Cloverbuds are 5-8 year olds who only participate in non-competitive events and programming.
Cost: $20 per year participation fee (or $60 per family with three or more youth). Some clubs and projects may have additional fees for supplies, equipment, travel, etc. Scholarships are available; please contact the office if you wish to receive a scholarship for the fee.
Projects: Members choose from a range of projects based on their interests and the availability of a knowledgeable adult in the community to serve as a leader. Through these projects, members set goals, learn the skills needed to achieve goals, and exhibit/demonstrate their skills at events like county fairs, speaking contests and other competitions.
How to join: Find a club that meets your interests and contact the leader listed to find out more information about that club. Not sure where to go? Contact the office and we can assist you. Don’t see a club that meets your needs? Contact us about starting your own!
New families may wish to read through the New Family Welcome Packet to understand all that 4-H has to offer.
Want to make a difference? Give back to your community? Pass your skills onto a new generation or learn new skills? Volunteers are the core of the 4-H program and critical to the success of its youth. There are more than 200 volunteers in Eaton County’s 4-H program who serve in a number of capacities: teaching workshops, leading clubs or projects, helping at camps or fair, or lending professional skills. Our volunteers help to provide hands-on guidance, real-world experience, and a healthy adult role model for the youth in our program.
Adults interested in volunteering with 4-H must become a registered volunteer and complete Michigan State University Extension’s Volunteer Screening Process (VSP). VSP includes:
- Completing a national background check (visit the secure website and fill out the information)
- Reference check (please notify your references that they will receive an email with the reference form)
- 4-H Volunteer e-Learning Course that can be completed at any time
- Interview with county 4-H staff once the above four steps have been completed. Time slots are scheduled once per month for interviews; please check the newsletter for dates and times.
- In-person orientation. Orientations are scheduled once per month and take approximately 1.5 to 2 hours; please check the newsletter for dates and times.
All volunteers have one year from the date paperwork is submitted to complete the process; volunteers who do not finish within a year will be required to restart the process.
To enroll or re-enroll in 4-H, all youth members and volunteers must register in the 4-H Online database each year, starting September 1. Re-enrollment deadline is Nov. 15 for returning members. New member deadline to show at fair as an Eaton County 4-H youth is March 15 (please contact the club you wish to join prior to enrolling in 4-H Online). You will not be considered enrolled until your registration is accepted. An email will be sent notifying you of your status. Youth must complete their 4-H Online profile with appropriate signatures AND the $20 participation fee must be received at the Extension office prior to being accepted as a 4-H member. Adults must complete the Volunteer Selection Process (VSP – see link on the page above for packet) prior to being accepted as a volunteer.
**NOTE: 4-H Online no longer supports Internet Explorer. Please use a different internet browser (Firefox, Chrome, etc.) to access the site.
Tips and common errors
- For new enrollments, please see the help guides that are referenced on the main log-in page linked above. Re-enrollment instructions are linked below.
- You must have a valid email address.
- Families create one log-in. Parents are added under the youth profile. Only volunteers are added as an adult under the family log-in.
- If you have forgotten your password, there is an “I forgot my password” option that will send a temporary password to the email on file. If you have changed email addresses and no longer have access to the one associated with your account, please contact the Extension office. DO NOT CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT IF YOU HAVE ONE FROM A PRIOR YEAR.
- If your profile is missing information, incomplete, or was not filled out correctly, you will be sent an email asking you to log-in and provide the needed information. Please watch your email or spam boxes as you are not considered enrolled until this information is submitted and your registration accepted. One common error is any incomplete signatures on the authorization page. Complete signatures (youth first and last name in the member boxes and parent/guardian first and last name in the parent/guardian boxes) must be provided in each box.
- Cloverbuds (4-H age 5-8) must select “Introductory 4-H Projects” as a project area. Please note that Cloverbuds only participate in non-competitive experiences.
- Volunteers who do not reenroll in a given year must recomplete the Volunteer Selection Process before being accepted again as a volunteer in subsequent years.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call the Extension office or email 4-H staff.