Junior Livestock Association
The Junior Livestock Association serves to provide educational opportunities for youth involved in the beef, sheep and swine project areas. The association also coordinates and holds the JLA Sale at fair for beef, sheep, swine and dairy feeders. Meetings are held the second Monday of the following months: October, December, February, April, June, August. All youth may vote, but please note that only youth who have sold in the previous year’s sale can vote on sale issues. The Buyer’s Workshop, which is an educational workshop for youth to go through sale forms and etiquette on finding a buyer, occurs at the April JLA meeting.
JLA By-laws (includes sale rules) (revised February 2018)
Paige Cords Showman Program
Beef, sheep and swine market exhibitors at the Eaton County Fair can apply for this program, which will award $500 for beef and $300 for sheep and swine. Exhibitors with breeding livestock can also apply, which will award $250 for beef and $150 for sheep and swine. Applications are due February 2, 2018. See application for details at https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HL9P9MpdNKaZRJ37KsKCfslHGd02OWff.
JLA Sale – July 12, 2018
Eaton County Fairgrounds
Sale will start at 10 am, with a pause for lunch following the beef sale.
Beef – Sheep – Swine
BBQ Lunch schedule and food list TBD - Check back in late May
Volunteer shifts TBD - Check back in May
- Friday Counter/Tech
- Money Counting
Youth who themselves or have a representative (one per family) sign up for, attend training for counter & tech shifts, & work & sign in for their shift will be able to get their sale checks a week earlier than those who do not. Training for tech and counter shifts are Tuesday, July 3 or Thursday, July 5 at 6 p.m. at the Extension office, or Sunday, July 8 or Monday, July 9 at 2 p.m. in the Back 4-H Office at the fairgrounds. Training will be approximately 30 minutes. Please contact the office to sign up for a training (trainings are canceled if nobody RSVPs).
Sale forms - check back in April for 2018 forms
- Proxy Bidding (for buyers who cannot attend the sale)
- Premium Form
- Buyers who cannot attend the sale can give premiums prior to fair using this form, which is due by Thursday, July 5, 2018 by 5 p.m. to the Extension office. Buyers who wish to give premiums after July 5 must use the premium logs at the sale; these premiums are due by Friday, July 13 by noon (this is the day after the sale).
- List of processors and prices (last updated 7/2016)
- Buyers passes – handed out at the Buyer’s Workshop or pick up from Extension office (2 per youth for new buyers; last year’s buyers are mailed passes in June)
- Generic Cut up Sheet (for Jones, please pick up from Extension office (or Back 4-H Office during fair week) as their form has a carbon copy)
- Buyer Brochure
If you have a carcass animal, you must have your buyer fill out both the Jones cut up sheet AND a buyer agreement form. Please indicate the youth name and tag number of the animal on the buyer agreement form in the appropriate box for the animal (all carcass animals are at Jones). The two forms can be picked up at the Extension office. The cut up sheet will be turned in when the animal is unloaded at the fair; the buyer agreement can be turned in either with the cut up sheet or prior to fair week to the Extension office.
Carcass prices for 2018 TBD