Children, Youth and Families
Early Childhood Development
MSU Extension’s early childhood development programs and services support families with young children and help parents and caregivers increase early childhood science, math and pre-literacy skills, and enhance children’s social & emotional development.
MSU Extension offers a variety of training, curricula and materials to support early childhood development. Trainings are available both on-line and through face-to-face workshops.
Resources in this area focus on:
- Preparing for School Success in Early Childhood – trainings include math, science, literacy and school readiness.
- Social & Emotional Health in Young Children – trainings include play-based learning, social and emotional skill building, anger management and more.
- Family Education & Support – a variety of research-based, parenting education classes, support and resources including online and face to face classes in both one-time presentations and on-going series of parenting classes.
MSU Extension trainings are available for parents, caregivers and early childhood educators.
Training hours are available for licensed child care providers!
For more information about MSU Extension’s early childhood development programs and resources in Clinton County contact:
Kittie Butcher, Children and Youth Institute Educator
Tools, Resources & Links
- PBS Kids - Excellent resource for educational videos, apps, and games for children
- PBS Parents - Great resource for activities for providers and parents
- Zero to Three - Zero to three is a professional publication you can look up articles and they have child development expectations.
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) - Promotes high-quality learning for all children, birth through age 8, by connecting practice, policy, and research
- U.S. Department of Education – Resources for early childhood education, special education, paying for college, reading resources, and helping your child learn
- Reading Rockets - Reading rockets is the best literacy site. The videos are very good and informative.