Build Your Arsenal for the 2017 Growing Season
Michigan State University Extension provides farmers with information and resources for a successful growing season.
Having the right tools for the job is essential for success. Following are some of the tools every farmer should have in their toolbox going into the 2017 growing season. Save these links as favorites and you will have resources at your fingertips!
Greater yield in the field – MSU Soil Fertility Research is the go-to place for science-based research and extension information that improves crop production, increases the ecological efficiency, and incorporates progressive nutrient management strategies for production agricultural systems. This site is also home for the MSU Fertilizer Recommendations, used to obtain MSU Fertilizer recommendations when soil test are conducted by commercial labs or planting plans change. It also is home to the Corn Nitrogen Rate Calculator used to fine-tune nitrogen application rates. The bulletin, MSU Nutrient Recommendations for Field Crops in Michigan (E-2904), a popular extension bulletin is also available online.
MSU Weed Science has links to NEW extension bulletins on managing herbicide-resistant weeds including tips for collecting weed seed samples to test for resistance. In addition, it is your source for the on-line 2017 Weed Control Guide for Field Crops. Keeping resistant weeds at bay has been a priority for researchers and farmers alike. Take Action on Weeds has information and resources on herbicide-resistance management. You will find the Site of Action Chart, as well as Site of Action lookup tool that helps you to quickly identify the site of action of popular herbicide brands. The Site of Action tool can also be saved on your mobile devise for easy access.
MSU Field Crops Entomology has the most current information on managing common pest in field crops. Today you can find information on Avipel and the latest version of the Bt Trait Table. This page will be updated throughout the season with recommendation for 2017 pest challenges.
Looking for information on managing diseases in field crops? Visit Field Crop Pathology Extension page. Fungicides for Field Crops, an overview of the current knowledge of fungicides and their use on field crops can be purchased for just $19 or is available online to PMN subscribers.
Enviro-weather has weather-based pest, natural resources and production management tools. You will find historic weather information as well as information to make decisions for the 2017 crop.
Looking for ways to easily pull historic weather data into the decision process? Visit the Decision Dashboard. Here you will find a suite of decision tools based on over 30 years of local weather data . AgClimate View is a convenient way to access customized historical climate and crop yield data in your area. Corn GDD will track real-time and historical GDD accumulations, assess spring and fall frost risk and guide decisions related to planting, harvest and seed selection. These are just a few of the tools available. Visit site to see more.
Michigan State University provides a wide array of resources to fill you your 2017 toolbox. Download apps, save links and have a safe and productive 2017 growing season.
- News and Notes, April 2017
- News and Notes, Dec. 2016
- News and Notes, Sept. 2016
- News and Notes, June 2016
- News and Notes, Mar. 2016
- News and Notes, Dec. 2015
- News and Notes, Nov. 2015
- News and Notes, Oct. 2015
- News and Notes, Sept. 2015
- News and Notes, Aug. 2015
- News and Notes, July 2015
- News and Notes, June 2015
- News and Notes, May 2015
- News and Notes, April 2015
Events and Happenings at a Glance
Tools, Resources & Links
- 2016 USDA Farm Land Rental Information
- 2016 Michigan Land Values and Leasing Rates
- 2017 Custom Machine and Work Rate Estimates
- Rental Agreements and Contracts
- 2014 Farm Bill
- MSU Weeds
- 2017 Weed Control Guide for Field Crops
- MSU Soil Fertility Research, “Greater yield in the field”
- MSU Field Crops Team
- MSU Farm Information Resource Management
- MSU Extension Field Crops News
- MSU Dept. of Entomology Extension Website
- 2015 SMaRT (Soybean Management and Research Technology) Report
- 2016 MSU Variety Trials
- 2016 Thumb Ag Research and Education (TARE)
- 2013 Mid-Michigan Crop Report
- ANR Week
- Sustainablecorn.org - Provides research and resources on corn production systems in the midwest.
- Clinton Conservation District - Provides information and technical assistance to private landowners, local units of government, educational institutions and other citizens to better understand, plan, manage, protect and utilize the resources of Clinton County.