4-H General Info
A 4-H club is a place where young people and adults come together for learning and activities!
Youth and adults experience:
- fun and meaningful learning experiences.
- a sense of community.
- positive relationships with peers and mentors.
- exposure to diverse ideas and age-appropriate resources.
- science and exploration of careers related to their interests.
- opportunities to evaluate their work.
4-H is for youth age 5 to 19. Adults age 19 and older can join as volunteers.
4-H clubs and programs happen in every Michigan county. There are many projects to choose from in which youth from cities, suburbs, towns and rural communities can participate.
The annual 4-H participation fee and insurance fee per youth in Charlevoix County is $7 total or a maximum of $21 per family of three or more, plus $2 for each additional child. * Typically, the particiaption fee is $10 and insurance fee $2 for a total of $12 but THANKS to the generous donation from a private donor, half of the particiapation fee is covered for each youth in Charlevoix County.
Some projects have additional costs for supplies, equipment, travel, etc.
Youth 4-H Membership
To join a 4-H club, you just need to find one that works best for your family! Contact Charlevoix County 4-H to get more information about clubs and programs near you.
Be prepared with answers to the following:
- What is your name?
- What are the names and ages of your children?
- What is your address? (We’ll send you a packet of information)
- What type of projects is your family interested in pursuing through 4-H?
- Are the adults of the family willing to be involved in a leadership role?
Volunteer for 4-H
Just five steps to becoming a 4-H volunteer!
- Decide that you have the time and interest to help kids explore and chart positive futures.
- Consider volunteering to lead a 4-H group in your community, your local school (before or after school), your church or any other location where there are kids who need positive, committed adult role models in their lives.
- Contact a Charlevoix County 4-H program coordinator to find out about your ideas or local opportunities for 4-H involvement.
- Complete Michigan State University Extension’s Child Well-Being Volunteer Selection Process. A 4-H program coordinator will be happy to discuss this process with you.
- Share your skills, knowledge and talents while having fun with kids, and you’re sure to make a difference in their lives.
Charlevoix County 4-H Council Board Members for 2016-2017
- President: Ren Graham
- Youth President: Maddie Graham
- Vice President: Carrie Bollmann
- Youth Vice President: Maggee Behling
- Secretary: Angie Behling
- Youth Secretary: Gage Behling
- Treasurer: Dawn Thayer
- Youth Treasurer: Kanden Behling
- Education Chair: Nicole Thompson
- Recording Secretary: Megan Healey
- Silent Auction Co-Chairs: Nicole Graham and Jen Thayer
- Youth Silent Auction Co-Chairs: Maddie Graham and Rhea Parsons
- Sr. Scholarship Chair: Lenore Senter
- Youth Sr. Scholarship Chair: Ally Herrick
- Take A Day On Service-Learning Chair: Carrie Bollmann
- Youth Take A Day On Co-Chairs: Josie Bollmann and Zach Herrick
Charlevoix County 4-H Council Meetings are the first Monday of every month, unless otherwise noted.
Time: 6:30 p.m.
Location: Boyne City Hall Auditorium
Meeting Schedule for 4-H Year 2016-2017
September 12, 2016 ** (Due to Labor Day)
Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 2015-16 Annual 4-H Awards Banquet at Whiting Park at 2 p.m. in the Green Building
October 3, 2016
November 7, 2016
Sunday, December 4, 2016 - Holiday Party & Council Meeting at 2 p.m. Boyne Area Senior Center
January 2, 2017
February 6, 2017
March 6, 2017
April 10, 2017** (Due to Spring Break)
May 1, 2017
June 5, 2017
Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 4-H Annual Picnic and Council Meeting at Whiting Park at 2 p.m.
August 2017 - No meeting due to all of the other pre-fair meetings for Market Livestock, HDC and Animal Husbandry
Sunday, October 8, 2017: 2016-17 Annual 4-H Awards Banquet at Whiting Park at 2 p.m. in the Green Building
Charlevoix County 4-H Policies, Forms and Deadlines