A 4-H club is a place where young people and adults come together for learning and activities.
Youth and adults experience:
- fun and meaningful learning experiences
- a sense of community
- positive relationships with peers and mentors
- exposure to diverse ideas and age appropriate resources
- science and exploration of careers related to their interests
- opportunities to evaluate their work
4-H is for youth age 5 to 19. Adults age 19+ can join as volunteers. See the 4-H Leader Resources page for more details and applications for volunteering with 4-H.
4-H clubs and programs happen in every Michigan county. There are many projects to choose from in which youth from cities, suburbs, towns and rural communities can participate.
The annual participation fee per youth is $10 or a maximum of $30 per family. Some projects have additional costs for supplies, equipment, travel, etc.
To join a 4-H club you just need to find one that works best for your family! Contact our 4-H Program Coordinator to get more information about clubs and programs near you.
Volunteer for 4-H
Just five steps to becoming a 4-H volunteer!
- Decide that you have the time and interest to help kids explore and chart positive futures.
- Consider volunteering to lead a 4-H group in your community, your local school (before or after school), your church or any other location where there are kids who need positive, committed adult role models in their lives.
- Contact our 4-H Program Coordinator to find out about your ideas or local opportunities for 4-H involvement.
- Complete Michigan State University Extension’s Child Well-Being Volunteer Selection Process. A 4-H Program Coordinator will be happy to discuss this process with you.
- Share your skills, knowledge and talents while having fun with kids, and you’re sure to make a difference in their lives.
4-H Staff Contact Info
Enrolling in 4-H
4-H Enrollment is done online. Access the 4-H online system at mi.4honline.com
To enroll, you will need a valid e-mail address and a web browser. Although 4-H Online will work with Internet Explorer, some aspects work better with Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. If you need assistance accessing the internet, please contact the Alpena County MSU Extension office. When you log into the system, there will be a 4-H Online Family guide to help you along. Your first step will be to set up a family profile. Once you have registered and paid the participation fee to the Alpena County MSU Extension office, the 4-H Program Coordinator with activate you as a 4-H member.